It’s officially soup season.
I’ve been sharing my soup recipes on my Instagram Stories regularly the past few weeks and this broccoli cheddar soup recipe has been the winner.
I’ve always loved a good broccoli cheddar soup. My favorites being the Kirkland brand from Costco and Panera.
I’ve never even tried to make this soup before, just assuming that store bought will always be better.
Boy, was I wrong.
The soup is so much better than Panera or Costco. It tastes so real and fresh, while being incredibly comforting.
I love serving this broccoli cheddar soup recipe with a grilled cheese made from fresh homemade sourdough and extra sharp cheddar cheese.
This broccoli cheese soup recipe is so delicious and the epitome of comfort food. There’s no immersion blender needed and this broccoli soup can be made in around 30 minutes or so.
A few tips to make this broccoli cheese soup absolutely stellar:
– Skip the shredded cheddar cheese. Instead, use a fresh block of cheese that you shred by hand.
– Don’t use low sodium chicken broth. The saltiness is what helps boost the flavor.
– To make this recipe vegetarian, switch out the chicken broth for vegetable broth.
– This recipe can easily be adapted to be made in a slow cooker.
– Don’t substitue the heavy cream if possible, this is the secret to the creamy consistency.
– This recipe is not gluten free. I have not tested gluten free flour, so I don’t know if that would work well.
Broccoli Cheddar Soup Recipe
Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- 1 stick butter
- 1 clove garlic finely minced
- 1/2 cup onion finely chopped
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3 heads broccoli chopped
- carrots shredded
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 lb sharp cheddar freshly grated
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- salt & pepper to taste
- parmesan for garnish
- Melt butter in pan.
- Brown garlic and onion over low heat.
- Stir in flour then slowly add in milk. Whisk until combined.
- Add in chicken broth.
- Continue to whisk until thickened, then add in broccoli and carrots.
- Once veggies are cooked (I prefer al dente) remove from heat and stir in heavy whipping cream.
- Stir in cheese until melted and fully combined.
- Add in pinch of nutmeg, then salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve and add fresh grated parmesan to top.
Shop my favorite soup and cracker bowls from Amazon here.
Yes! It may be even better on day two.
It pairs fabulously with grilled cheese.