Welcome back to Girl Talk Tuesday! If you missed my first installment of GTT, check it out here. It was my most commented blog post I’ve ever written. I received so much amazing feedback from my Gorgeous Girls not only on the post itself, but everywhere from SnapChat to Facebook. Thanks so much for the love and comments! Today, we’re taking a different route and talking about habits of successful women.
My apologies for missing last Tuesday. Matt & I were in NYC for Comic Con as well as press for his new NBC show, Timeless. You may have caught a very terrified me on the Today Show with Kathie Lee & Hoda? I had no idea they would call me on stage and you could probably tell that by my face, lol! I’m a huge fan of theirs and they were so incredibly sweet to us. ♥
In my adult life, I’ve worn several different hats. I’ve been a college student, a career woman (I worked as a fraud investigator) and now I’m an entrepreneur. Regardless which category I have fit into since my early 20’s, I was always on the lookout to better myself to be more successful.
Let’s kick things off by first looking at the word success. According to the dictionary, the definition of success is: the accomplishment of an aim or purpose; the attainment of popularity or profit; a person or thing that achieves desired aims or attains prosperity.
But, I could ask 10,000 women what success means to them and potentially receive 10,000 different answers. We all are at different places in our lives with different goals we want to achieve. Success looks totally different for every woman. The good news? There are habits that successful women have that we can adopt to have a more successful day, career or maybe even life. Let’s take a look.
Habits of Successful Women
- Put their husbands and families first. Seems like a no-brainer, right? Maybe you have no problem with this, but I can almost guarantee you that you know someone who does. Women are hard workers. We like to get the job done and get it done right. We like to better ourselves and our careers, sometimes to the point of bringing work home with us both literally and emotionally. When this starts to happen, it’s as if we lose the ability to turn off our work-side. A truly balanced woman understands the importance of her career, but also understands the importance of her personal life. Work is where you achieve your goals, but home (with your husband and kids) is where you achieve your happiness.
- They get up & get dressed. If you work outside of your home, this will sound like a total duh to you. If you’re like me and you work from home, then this one is probably an ouchie. I love waking up in the morning, rolling out of bed and working all day in my jammies. Seems harmless, right? Well it sorta is. But it tends to keep you less motivated. When you wake up and get ready for your day as if you work outside of your home, you tend to be more motivated. I don’t know about you, but a motivated Angela can just about move mountains. When I’m in my PJs I tend to move slower and think slower because it’s almost as if I’m in a constant “relax mode.” Is this a totally mental thing? You betcha. Sometimes we have to trick ourselves into thinking and doing certain things. This is one of them for me.
- Understand the power of the word, “No.” This is one I’m still learning. Used together, those two letters form the most powerful word in the English language. This skill is one we need to learn and practice in all areas of our lies, not just in work situations. Have a friend or family member who keeps asking for favors that you don’t have the resources to provide? No. It’s time we stop overextending our time, our emotions and our finances at the risk of hurting someone else’s feelings. You can absolutely say no in a completely respectful and loving way (my Aunt Gina always says to be “Lovingly Firm”). I can’t guarantee that you won’t make someone angry… But we as women aren’t in the business of pleasing people. We are here to live our own lives and achieve our own goals. If we consistently put ourselves aside to put other’s tasks ahead of our own, we’ll just keep running in circles. Just to be clear, I’m not saying to always say no to every person. I’m talking about saying no to people and situations that will overwork, over-exert and over-stress YOU.
- Delegate. Another hard one for me, but oh-so-necessary. I once heard a story about a hardworking momma who said this to her loving husband: You can have a clean house, good food or a working wife. I can do two out of three. Which two will you choose? That’s a smart woman. She realized that she couldn’t do it all. She was upfront and honest with her husband about it and gave him the choice of which task she would delegate to someone else. Not all of us have the resources to do this, but I have a feeling there may be certain things in our lives (work and home) that we could delegate to someone else. Delegating helps maintain sanity in my opinion. Doing it all doesn’t make us look better if we’re pulling our hair out from the stress.
- Take care of their bodies. What’s the first thing you give up when you get overwhelmed in your life? I give up exercise and healthy eating. I feel like I just can’t make time to get to the gym. When I’m stressed, I don’t care what I put into my body as long as it’s quick. Here’s the problem with that: the busyness that we’re experiencing is momentary, we’re stuck with our bodies and our health for the rest of our lives. Neglecting our health now will only cause problems down the road. I’m preaching this one just as much for myself to hear as I am for anyone reading these words on the other side of this screen. This is a biggie. No one else will take care of us. We have to stop allowing everything else in our insane day to hinder our well-being.
- Feed their souls. This is another big one. I was recently talking to my best friend, who’s a busy mom of four, and asked when the last time she took an hour or two to herself to recharge. Guess what, she couldn’t remember. How about you? What do you do when your soul needs a rest? How do you recharge? When is the last time you did that for yourself? For me, feeding my soul is taking time to dive into my devotional, studying God’s Word and quiet time. There is literally never a time that I’ve done this and walked away regretting that time spent. It’s necessary. It’s also highly neglected by me. I have to be super intentional to keep this a priority, but guess what… When I do, I’m a much happier person for it.
- Set boundaries. Boundaries is an ugly word to a lot of people. They don’t know how to establish them, so they just don’t do it. This one falls very closely in line with #3. Boundaries don’t mean that you are an unfriendly person. They mean you have enough respect for yourself and other people to create healthy relationships. If you have a person in your life who sucks the life out of you, or maybe makes you feel incredibly uncomfortable, establishing boundaries with these individuals will protect you from future situations that absolutely do not have to occur.
- Let go of their insecurities. If you missed my first GTT, then go back and check it out now. Successful women set out to accomplish a goal, and then they go out and they do it. They don’t allow their insecurities to hold them back from what they want to accomplish. They know what they are capable of, so they make it happen. They believe in themselves. They recognize the gifts that God has blessed them with and they study, learn and work towards their dreams. They don’t allow naysayers to rule their lives. They know what they want and they don’t stop until they get it.
- Get their hair done. Sounds silly, I know. My dear friend, Julie Solomon, told me that she had a girlfriend call her, after giving birth to her son, and that girlfriend told her to hire a babysitter and get her butt to the salon. She did. She left the salon with her fresh locks and felt like a new woman. I know that feeling. I’ve passed similar advice on to some of my own mommy friends. This one is more of a metaphor, but I think you get where I’m going with it. When you’re feeling down on yourself, go out and do what it is that makes you feel like you. Maybe you’re like Charlotte in Sex & the City when she was pregnant and feeling crummy. She needed to do what made her feel like Charlotte: start running again. So you’re feeling beat down after a bad conversation with your boss, go home and take that bubble bath. Whatever it is that you indulge in that makes you feel fabulous, do it. Sometimes, we girls just need a good indulgence to feel like ourselves again.
- Make wise decisions. In all areas of life. Can’t afford that handbag? Then be wise enough to not buy it. Dieting but really what to overindulge? Be wise enough to recognize the guilt you’ll feel tomorrow. In an unhealthy dating relationship? Be wise enough to see that your future self won’t be any happier with this man that your current self knows you shouldn’t be dating. Be wise enough to stop and think about the decision you have to make, big or small. Wisdom is something we all want and need. If you’re like me, you get in a hurry and do whatever, because any decision at all is at least a decision made. Wrong way to handle things, ladies. Be slow to think, even slower to speak but quick to listen.
- Organize their day. Creating routines and scheduling your day will cut down stress tenfold. When I schedule my day and actually operate according to that schedule, my day is 100% more successful. Creating routines that make sense for your day takes out the daily decision making that is so unnecessary. Doing things like prepping your coffee and lunch the night before frees up time the next morning. Routines for house work, grocery shopping and laundry are also major game changers in my opinion. Being intentional with your time is so essential for success. You have 24 hours in your day, are you using them wisely?
A disclaimer to this post: if you are a stay-at-home wife or mom, you are absolutely not excluded from these tips. You work every bit as hard as women who are in the business world. Nothing makes me more angrier than to hear someone talk about housewives as though they sit around and eat bonbons all day watching soaps on tv. Moms, you have jobs too. In my opinion, you have the most fulfilling and rewarding job of all!
So tell me, what are some of your tips and tricks for a success? Leave a comment below! xo
What I’m Wearing:
Thermal PJ Top // Thermal PJ Bottoms // My Fave $5 Coffee Mug
I love girl talk tuesdays!! All your posts are amazing and encouraging for the soul. You are such an inspirational woman in every aspect of life and I want to thank you for that!! One way that I personally find helps with success is having the support of others. Whether its your mom, sister, bestfriend, partner, (even the Lord can be a support) I just find that knowing I have someone encouraging me and wanting me to succeed really pushes me forward when I’m in a rough spot! 🙂
I’m so glad you’re enjoying GTT, Katelyn! I put a lot of time and thought into these posts, so it really makes my heart happy to know others are getting something out of it. Thank you for taking the time to leave such a sweet comment. 🙂
Great tips, thank you!
Thanks for reading, Francesca!
This spoke right to my heart! I am currently a stay at home mom which I agree you with you that in itself is a big job! I have two little girls, I am also taking online classes, I just started a blog and have to maintain my house as well. I tend to get super overwhelmed and forget most of these habits! Someone once told me to make sure that at least once a week or even once every other week to do something for myself even if it’s just getting my nails done. And that was the best advice ever! Also my mom always told me that no matter what, get up, put on your makeup and get on with your day. How true it is that when you get up and get ready for the day that you have way more motivation !! I love this, thank you for posting. This really was a good reminder of things that I seem to forget easily when I get lost in the stress of the day! Thank you!! ❤️
You’re one busy mama, Brooke!! I just told my best friend, Megan that a couple weeks ago! She has 4 kiddos, one of which is still nursing. She couldn’t remember the last time she went anywhere alone (even for an hour) and had a little “her” time. The common complaint I hear from my mommy friends is that they are no longer able to identify as themselves, rather they feel like they only have one role now, which is being a mom. I’ve not been in their shoes yet, but I can see how easy it would be to start feeling that way!
Thank you so much for doing this every Tuesday. I’m not a wife or a mom yet but your advice can still be used before then and that’s what I love about this. From makeup, clothes, and to everything else you always have the best things to say. I’m so happy to have found a Goldly woman to look up to and get inspiration and advice from. So again thank you so much for taking time out of your day to do this for us! ?
Wow!! Thanks so much for the amazing compliment, Bailee!! xo
Angela, thank you so much for doing a GTT series! I absolutely love this. Admittedly, I follow a lot of bloggers and YouTubers. I love reading all about makeup and beauty. However, having someone who is honest about real life struggles, but also is strong in her faith, is what has kept me coming back to your blog and channel. I admire you for speaking so boldly about things that many shy away from, especially your walk with God. I can’t wait to read more!
Yay!! I’m so glad you like it, Stephanie! In a (social media) world that’s now so inundated with bloggers and YouTubers, I realized that fashion and beauty tips are a dime a dozen. Don’t get me wrong, I’ll still post fashion and beauty all day long lol! But who can truly relate to these women who constantly post about their perfect outfits, wearing their perfect makeup in their perfect lives? Maybe some women, but that’s not who I am as a person and I want my work to reflect who I really am.
Thank you so much for following along, reading and taking the time to leave such a sweet comment! 🙂
Another amazing post Angela. Love reading your blog. It’s so true about life about everything whats going on in our life. We may not have the same life but in your post there is always something that we been trough like you,or some situations that are so similar in our life . My tips for a better day is to do something for someone even if it’s a little thing like compliment or help with shopping ,smile or something .It’s not costing you nothing but it can make a better day for someone else and to see their smile ohhh its just priceless.Tip for my week is to find at least one day only for my family,like go swimming ,go to the park,anything that makes them happy. As I love spending time with my kids am trying to spend as much time with them as I can,they growing so fast and want them to have as much beautiful memories from their childhood as me when I was a child. Can’t wait for your next post.
Ps:You look so gorgeous and so natural in the show ❤❤❤
Thanks so much, Sylwia!! I love that you include making someone else’s day better as a part of your daily routine! It takes a lot less time and energy to be nice- to just give a sweet smile or say a nice word or two, than it does to go out of our way to be rude. I wish so much that more people has your outlook, especially when it comes to social media! I also love that making memories is so important to you with your kids. They’ll look back and so many happy moments to cherish because they have you as their mom. 🙂
I love these tips SO much! Perfect post, Ang! xoxo
Thanks Sheridan!! xoxo
Thank you Angela for another amazing post. I love to read your blog and watch your videos.
I live in Germany and work as a bank clerk. I know what pressure means at work and for me it was hard not to take this pressure home with me. Its hard to find a way how you dont put yourself under too much pressure but dont be too lazy. (Sorry for my english, i hope you understand what im trying to say)’
You are an inspirational woman in every aspect of life. Your tips are amazing and helpful. Thank you so much. Stay the way you are! ??
Thanks so much, Anika! I understand exactly what you’re trying to say! It sounds like you have found ways to balance your work and home life?
Yes, i found a way to balance work and home but it’s hard to explain. Its only a feeling. Sounds crazy but one morning i woke up and said to myself “live your life – you’re not a robot!”
A new german song describes it fantastic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5Vz7obL460 (Tim Bendzko – Keine Maschine). I love this song !!!!
I tried to translate it for you:
“Going on like this is no option
I have to break out – when you read this I’m up and away
I want to live my own life, at least I have to try
I need the control back, can’t only function anymore
After all I am no machine!
I am a human being of flesh and blood
And I want to live, up to my last breath
I am a human being with all my mistakes
My fury and the euphoria
I am no machine, I live on air and fantasy
There so much more of special things to experience
The whole world is open to me, me standing there glued to the spot
I am in chains of unspoken rules
I don’t make any progress, but I have to move freely
After all I am no machine!
I am a human being of flesh and blood
And I want to live, up to my last breath
I am a human being with all my mistakes
My fury and the euphoria
I am no machine, I live on air and fantasy
On air and fantasy
Until I beat gravity
I won’t surrender, I won’t surrender”
Thanks for sharing! Such appropriate lyrics! 🙂
I needed this GTT, and the first one was great also. Thank you for being so honest and inspiring! You are so wise and have great advise!
I’m so happy to hear that you have enjoyed this series so far! I love pouring my heart into this type of content. 🙂
Wow you are awfully smart and very good with how you write and word things. You did such a great job I can’t think of a single thing to add except wish I followed all those rules more consistently. And great job. I love this girl talk Tuesday!!!! Loving Matt new show it’s awesome so far.
Thanks so much, Jana!! Isn’t Timeless amazing? It’s so fun to explore a different decade every week!
I really appreciate you including us mamas! It’s easy to feel like my goal each day is just to make it through the day…when really, I have this little mind yearning to learn new things all the time!!
Changing clothes (even from pjs to other “more presentable” comfy clothes) definitely makes me more motivated to get things done and to be intentional with my day! I love these tips and the GTT idea!! Keep them coming! ?
Of course! Where would this world be without our mamas?! I’m so glad to have an awesome woman like you reading my blog. Keep up the good work with your babes! xoxo
I look forward to these posts each week and I get stressed out lot with school and other daily activities I have to do and reading these tips, helped me to realize what I need you work on. I have always had a hard time saying no because I always want to help others aadd tend to put their needs before you own. So I need to give myself some ‘me’ time more often. I also need to figure out what really feeds my soul and it is so very true how much actually getting yourself ready for the day really helps us to be productive. Thanks ffor your blog and eencouraging and inspirational posts. 🙂
Aww thanks, Jennifer! It makes me so happy to hear that you enjoy this new series. 🙂
Saying no is something that doesn’t come easy for a lot of us girls (I’m one of them!) But sometimes it’s so necessary to maintain a healthy balance!
I love love loved this post! I have a hard time with #3 but it’s a work in progress and it sort of feels good when you say no to something you don’t want to do, I feel empowered almost! I totally agree with every point you made especially with making time for yourself and feeding your soul, it’s how you get to know yourself better. I love girl talk Tuesdays ! I have been a follower of yours for years but never subscribed to your page for some reason ( and not because I don’t love your website it’s awesome I just eat lazy!) . Girl talk tuesdays made me subscribe !
Thanks so much, Angelica! Oh girl, me too. Saying no, especially to those you love or respect, is never easy in my opinion. But sometimes, it’s what you just gotta do!
I’m so glad that you subscribed!! A big official welcome to the Gorgeous Fam!! 🙂
Loved this post! Since I work from home I need things like this to motivate me, especially now that I’m trying to balance being a work at home mom. I love the one about getting dressed everyday. Even if I’m just switching to yoga pants (which I usually am haha) it’s great to get out of my pj’s and really focus on being ready for the day! Loving GTT!
Emily @ lovepastatoolbelt.com
Oh girl, I hear ya! Yoga pants are a work uniform for me too!
Your blog is amazing!
Thanks so much, Jennifer! 🙂