One question I am asked most frequently is how do I keep my long, color-treated hair looking healthy. I have several answers: vitamins, not over-washing, not over-styling and hair oils. Today, I want to focus on heat styling and hair oils.
In the summer months, I tend to allow my hair to air dry almost every time I wash it. Now that I’m in Vancouver, I blow dry my hair every wash or else I freeze to death with my wet head. Hair oils are essential to my routine whether air drying or blow drying. I’ve been using different oils for over three years now and I love the results I get from them.
Before we dive into the benefits of using hair oil, I want to discuss blow dryers. I used to use whatever hair dryer I could find, the cheaper the better. Then I realized that my cheapy dryers were not only taking forever to dry my hair, but somehow always managed to get my hair caught in them every single use. I found myself damaging my strands because they would be caught up in the fan in nasty knots. Quite honestly, that’s when I really started letting my hair air dry… I couldn’t take the frustration of my hair being caught up in those stupid blades!
When I realized that the nicer hair dryers: A) dried my hair faster and B) didn’t eat my hair, I couldn’t believe what I was missing out on for so many years. I would go through the cheap hair dryers constantly because they’d either burn out in a big cloud of smoke or just not turn on altogether after only a few months of use.
I recently got my hands on the 10X Ultralight Speed Dryer by Bio Ionic from Sephora and was blown away (see what I did there? LOL!) with the results. My hair dried so much faster than it did with my old dryers. It is a higher price tag, but the pay off is obvious. You save time every single use and the blow dryer quality is incredible.
Whenever I talk about hair oils with someone, they’re always like, “Isn’t the point of washing your hair to remove oil? Why would I want to put oil back into my clean hair?” Oh girl. Yes, what you’re saying seems logical, but in reality, our hair needs oil. Let’s look at my favorite benefits of using hair oils.
8 Benefits of Hair Oils:
- Detangles Damp Strands. Applying a couple of pumps of an oil such as Bumble and Bumble’s Hairdresser Invisible Oil to damp hair, then combing it through before styling will help to detangle knots.
- Softens Your Tresses. Every woman wants soft hair, right? Hair oils helps to soften and silken your mane.
- Protects Against UV Rays and Heat. Our hair takes a daily beating from the sun and styling tools. Oils helps to protect against heat damage and also prevent our hair from drying out.
PS- This oil is free of parabens, sulfates, phthalates, mineral oil and alcohol.
4. Seals Split Ends. Heaven knows, I’m the worst split-end picker in the world. I need help, y’all. The way to give up this nasty habit? Stop the split ends from appearing. Using an oil such as OUAI Hair Oil helps to seal those split ends. This oil can be used on all hair types.
5. Protects Hair Color from Fading. Fading is always a concern for me. I hate the idea of spending so much money to color my hair to only have said color fade a few short weeks later. This oil will help to prevent that darn fading from occurring.
6. Hydrating Overnight Hair Mask. This oil doubles as a hair mask. Work the oil into your strands at bedtime, put your hair in a bun, then head to catch some shut eye. Wash and style as usual in the AM and you’ll have incredibly softer, silkier hair.
PS- This oil is free of parabens and phthalates.
7. Stops the Frizzies. I find that a couple of drops of hair oil smoothed through dry hair combats my frizz. Living Proof’s No Frizz Nourishing Oil is awesome at de-frizzing and hydrating, leaving your hair feeling smoother and healthier.
8. Adds Healthy Shine. Perhaps my #1 reason for even testing out oils in the first place was the desire for shinier hair. Shiny hair = healthy hair, at least in my opinion. I want my tresses to look and feel silky smooth and the best way to achieve that was by including oils into my beauty routine.
PS- This oil is free of parabens, sulfates and phthalates
So what do you think? Are you convinced to now give hair oils a try? Or do you already use them? Leave a comment below and let me hear your thoughts!
Thank you to Sephora for partnering with Hello Gorgeous to create this post.