Thank you to Just Born for partnering with me to create this post.
When it comes to home decor, I’m not a pro. I’m indecisive. I’m unable to visualize pieces in a room unless they’re physically in that space. When it came to our nursery, it was as if I became a different person. I knew exactly what I wanted… Which colors, furniture style, overall look, etc.
Through trial and error, we were able to create the perfect nursery for our home and our baby girl. Below, I’m sharing our top do’s and don’ts that we’ve learned along the way for designing your little one’s special space.
10 Nursery Do’s and Don’ts
- DO keep safety in mind. There are so many things that we would normally decorate with that are no-no’s for babies. Check out this blog post for more info.
- DON’T get too many opinions. This goes for pretty much every area of life… Keep your circle of your advisers very small. Too much noise only creates confusion, and confusion only creates crazy. Ain’t nobody got time for crazy!
- DO make it pretty. Choose pieces that help to create a peaceful, calm and happy space. You and baby will be spending a lot of time in this room, so make it somewhere you want to be. Just Born offers a variety of pieces to create a beautiful nursery. We love their Keepsake Collection Classic Vintage pieces for our nursery, as well as their Dream Collection Love blanket. I can’t forget the new Just Born layette collection made with organic cotton, which will be available for purchase on Amazon in September.
- DON’T forget to keep it functional. Selecting pieces that are pretty, but also functional like our Just Born changing table cover, is essential.
- DO organize. An organized nursery makes your life so much easier. When everything has a place and everything is in it’s place (when did I turn into my mom?!) life just flows better. Create an organization system early on then organize as you decorate and receive/buy new pieces.
- DON’T forget blackouts. Nap time will be so much easier on mama if the room is darker. Invest in blackout curtains and/or shades to keep the room as dark as possible for better baby sleep.
- DO invest in a glider. The only piece of furniture used more in the nursery than our crib and changing table is our glider. Make sure it’s comfy because you’ll be spending a ton of time in it.
- DON’T be afraid to make returns. Just because it was a gift doesn’t mean that you have to keep it. If you don’t love it, return it for something you’ll actually use.
- DO select a soft rug. Baby will be rolling around, crawling and eventually taking tumbles from those unsteady early steps. Choose an area rug or carpeting that will be help cushion baby’s knees, hands and falls.
- DON’T go overly themed. Choose decor that will grow with baby so you don’t have to shell out a ton of cash too soon for another design.
Leave a comment below with any of your nursery design tips and tricks for other new mamas!