Y’all. I’ve fallen down a deep dark hole. That hole is named “Purging”. My husband may never speak to me again (kidding). I came home from the dermatologist yesterday with every intention of sitting down to write this blog post. But something inside of my brain snapped and said, you need to clean out your kitchen cabinets. NOW. 8 hours and one car full of donations later, my kitchen is unrecognizable. It began a domino effect for me though… I moved on to Matt’s office, and every other room in my house. If it was in my path, it was in danger of being tossed or donated. I’m now +2 car fulls of donations deep. And it feels awesome.
I feel like a new woman with a new home. I’m not sure how I accumulate so much stuff in such a short time because I’m a Grade A purger (is that even a real word?). Family and friends call me when they need motivation to organize or purge. It’s like a secret talent (or weapon in Matt’s opinion). Here are a few tips I can give for anyone who needs a good house or closet purge.
- Use my 3 month rule. If I haven’t worn or used an item in 3 months and can’t see myself using it in the next 3 months, it’s gone.
- Get rid of excess and duplciates. Specifically, toss those extra linens you don’t use. Almost every linen closet I encounter has +3 sets of bed sheets for each bed. Let’s be real for a second… You use one set, maybe two, wash that set and put it back on, or rotate with your other favorite set. For adult beds, anything over two sets is really unnecessary.
- Toss uncomfortable shoes, clothes, undies and linens. If you don’t enjoy wearing something, why keep it? Just because a certain pair of shoes is to die for doesn’t mean you should keep them if they literally kill your tootsies every time you put them on. Move on to another pair!
- Organize and deep clean as you purge. Sounds like a nightmare, I know. But listen, if you are taking things out of a shelf or drawer, take an extra 60 seconds to clean and disinfect it. Organizing feels amazing but having your house organized and sparkling clean is just about the best feeling ever. I do this every time I organize a drawer, shelf or my refrigerator.
- Look at expiration dates and toss it out! I’m not just talking about food but toiletries too. Did you know sunscreen expires? Don’t forget your medicine cabinet and makeup drawer!
Purging is the best feeling when it’s all said and done. If you need a little inspiration, check out the book, “The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing“. This book gives great tips and ideas for what to get rid of and why. I don’t agree with every single suggestion or that you need to thank each item you own for it’s service (so silly) but I was very inspired to get off my toosh and get to tossin’!
What are some of your favorite purging or organizing tips and tricks? Leave a comment and let me know! I love to hear from my fellow organization
Okay, okay… My purging rant has come to an end. Today’s look is another one from our time at 3oA. This cute little romper is another steal of a deal coming in at only $15. The back is fully open, so I would suggest my go-to sticky bra with this look. It’s a super cute outfit and so great for the beach. Let’s be honest though, my favorite part of this outfit are the donuts. The Donut Hole is the most incredible donut shop I’ve ever been to in.my.LIFE. Not joking. If you’re ever in the Panhandle, this place is a MUST!
What I’m Wearing:
Striped Backless Romper ($15!) // Tory Burch Lexington Wedges (ON SALE 30% OFF!) // Stick-On Bra // Sugar & Spice Sunnies // Pineapple Stud Earrings // Gold & Turquoise Cuff Bracelet // Crystal Ring // Kate Spade iPhone Wallet // Jouer Lip Creme