DIY Hand Crochet Chunky Blanket | Budget-Friendly Christmas Gift

About a month ago, I made a chunky knit blanket for Matt and shared it on my Instagram Stories.  I don’t think I’ve ever in my life received so many requests for a tutorial!

I finally filmed how I made his throw blanket, but with a twist.  I needed a skirt for my Christmas tree in Ohio.  My mother-in-law texted me a photo of a chunky knit blanket used as a tree skirt and I was like, I GOT THIS!  And my chunky knit Christmas tree skirt idea was born.

DIY Hand Crochet Chunky Blanket | Budget Christmas Gift angela lanter hello gorgeousDIY Hand Crochet Chunky Blanket | Budget Christmas Gift angela lanter hello gorgeous

No crochet needles/hooks are needed for this DIY.  You need two things: chunky yarn and your hands.  That’s it!  Talk about a personal Christmas gift idea.  🙂

I used the Bernat Blanket Big Stitch Yarn in “Soft White.”  Three skeins were just the right amount for my tree skirt.  For a lap throw blanket, I’d recommend at least four skeins.  My favorite yarn is currently ON SALEUse coupon code: SALE25W to buy four skeins of yarn for only $19.48!  Such an awesome deal.  You can make a gorgeous throw blanket for under $20!!

Watch my full tutorial on how to crochet your own chunky knit blanket below.

watch my tutorial

As you can see, my Christmas tree is already up.  I managed to decorate the tree for under $150.  Actually, I think it was closer to $125.  If you want a detailed blog post about my budget-friendly Christmas decor, leave a comment below.  I’ve found some adorable pieces for under $10 and $20 this year that y’all will absolutely LOVE.

Here’s the link to my Christmas tree.  It’s SO gorgeous in person and such a reasonable price for a flocked tree.

shop this post

1. Renae
    November 21, 2019 / 6:05 AM

You make this look so easy! I’m excited to give it a try – thanks so much for the tutorial!

• November 21, 2019 / 9:56 AM

It’s so easy!! You’ll be surprised!!

2. Tamra
    November 21, 2019 / 4:21 PM

I’m so excited to try making a blanket like yours. It truly does look easy so hopefully mine looks as nice as yours. Thank you so much for sharing!

• November 23, 2019 / 7:21 AM

Yay!! I want to see photos when you’re done!

3. Bliss
    November 22, 2019 / 7:42 AM

I’m a bit intimidated by this, but still going to try! Would love to see a blog about your Christmas décor!

• November 23, 2019 / 7:21 AM

No reason to be intimidated! It’s so easy, you can definitely do it!

4. Stephanie
    November 24, 2019 / 8:19 AM

Is it hard on your hands? I have rheumatoid arthritis but would love to make one for my parents.

5. Ashley
    November 24, 2019 / 10:53 AM

Now would you say this is easier than crocheting with crochet hooks?! I’ve tried crocheting before and got so discouraged and just gave up 😔. I love blankets and homemade gifts and this just looks so nice and simple

6. Kayla Blanco
    November 24, 2019 / 11:17 AM

I LOVE this! Definitely gonna give it a try! Thank you for sharing! And how many loops across would you do for a standard throw blanket?

7. Kelsie
    November 25, 2019 / 9:13 PM

I have all the material so instead of going to the brick and mortar stores on Friday. I will be black Friday shopping online, watching Hallmark movies and attempting this blanket ❤️ thanks to your code and another coupon, I ended up getting 6 rolls of yarn for $30!!

December 5, 2019 / 8:49 PM

I finally was able to watch this tutorial, and I’m doing it! I’ll show you when I’m done!