Isn’t it interesting that my mom and Mawmaw’s generations referred to pregnancy length by months? They’d say I’m 5 months pregnant right now. Nowadays, we describe our pregnancies by weeks. In fact, we talk pregnancy in weekly terms as if it’s always been that way. I’m interested to know when that shift happened from months to weeks?
If you’re following along on Hello Bump Podcast, then you are already very filled in on my first 15 weeks of pregnancy. In fact, Episode 10, Week 15 released this morning. You can listen via iTunes, Stitcher or straight from this blog post (below) if you haven’t already downloaded it.
Today’s post goes out to my fellow pregnant and soon-to-be pregnant mamas who are interested in some of my must-have products from my first 20 weeks of pregnancy. These are all products personally tested and approved by me. Scroll down for a description of each item and a few sentences about why they made the “Angela Approved Pregnancy List.“
My First 20 Weeks Faves:
- Maeband Maternity Belly Band: If you’re like me, you want to wear your regular shorts, jeans and pants for as long as possible while pregnant. This belly band helps you do just that. It’s a cloth band with velcro on both ends that hooks through your belt loops and secures with the velcro. I’m currently wearing a size Small and have it in the navy blue color. The Maeband makes it possible for me to wear my pre-pregnancy bottoms without an issue.
- Leachco Snoogle Body Pillow: This was my first pregnancy purchase and definitely my most used/loved. I can’t sleep at night now without it. My chiropractor suggested this pillow to help keep my hips aligned while side sleeping, which in turn has majorly helped to ease my lower back pain. I originally bought the pillow on Amazon without a cover, trying to save money. I quickly realized I needed a pillow cover (i.e. pillow case) and ordered the jersey grey, which means I didn’t actually save myself any money at all. If you are looking for a pregnancy pillow, look no further. But buy the pillow that comes with the case. Trust me, you won’t regret it.
- Maternity Undies: Early on in my pregnancy, I posted on Facebook about my need for maternity undies and asked for suggestions. Quite a few women said they never needed new undies throughout their entire pregnancy… Which made me feel like there was something wrong with me for needing them so early on. But my oh-so-loved CK’s were literally sinking into my skin, leaving indents. I researched undies online and bought pairs from several different brands. This style from Giftpocket is hands down my favorite. I wear them every single day and don’t have a single complaint. If you’re interested in my pre-pregnancy favorite underwear, check out this blog post.
- Bellaband: Another option for wearing your pre-pregnancy bottoms from Ingrid and Isabel that I love. The Bellaband gives a smoother look to your bottoms than the Maeband. This only matters if you’re wearing a tighter top. If you wear mainly loose tops or sweaters, you’ll be fine with the Maeband. If you prefer to wear tighter fitting tops, then go with the Bellaband. I have the Bellaband in a size 1 in white.
- Bra Extender: If you listen to Hello Bump, then you’ve heard Matt get on me about my bras being too tight. This extender has helped ease my discomfort immensely. Those extra two inches made a big difference for me. I just received a bra from Third Love in the mail yesterday, so I’ll let y’all know my thoughts once I’ve had a good chance to wear it.
- Maternity Leggings: Another one of my first purchases was maternity leggings. These leggings are great for every day wear and have a side zipper detail on the ankles. They come with a crossover panel in the back which helps with lower back support. If you’re interested in more casual leggings that are better for working out, then check out this pair from Beyond Yoga/Beyond the Bump. The material is more like a super soft tee shirt, whereas the Ingrid & Isabel pair are thicker and better for a dressed up look.
- Nivea In-Shower Body Lotion: I’ve been a fan of in-shower body lotions since Olay first debuted theirs when I was in high school. I love the idea of moisturizing while I’m in the shower for one less step for when I get out. I’ve suffered from dry, itchy skin during my pregnancy. This lotion has helped moisturize, hydrate and keep my skin itch-free. Honestly, I like both the Nivea and Olay lotions equally. I do think I like the original (purple bottle) scent of Olay the best.
- Natural Calm: I’ve been taking Natural Calm since January and I love it. It helps me relax and sleep better, prevents constipation and helps prevent muscle cramps and headaches. I think magnesium is an awesome way to fight against the pregnancy constipation that we all hear nightmare stories about. Be sure to talk to your doctor before taking this supplement; my doctor approved it for me.
- Pink Stork Pregnancy Bath Salts: I’ve been a bath taker all my life. After first finding out I was pregnant, I shied away from baths. Then the infamous cyst hit me like a brick wall and I had no choice but to take sitz baths. It was during that period that I realized all the hub-bub about baths is silly. I take warm, not hot baths, and I limit myself to 10 minutes. These salts are also packed with magnesium to give you that same calming effect. I also frequently use Aveeno oatmeal bath mixes to help soothe my dry, itchy or stretching skin.
- Bio-Oil: I researched stretch mark prevention and every where I looked, this oil was recommended. Of course I ordered myself a bottle from Amazon Prime right away. I love the scent and it leaves my skin feeling silky smooth. Luckily, I don’t have any stretch marks yet, but I still have another 4 months to go. I also really love the Honest Company Organic Belly Balm because the scent is so calming for bedtime.
What are some of your pregnancy must-haves? I’ve already discovered new products I love this past week that I can’t wait to share with y’all. Be sure to watch my daily Insta-stories on both my personal account and the Hello Bump account to see the different products for both me and Baby Lanter that have been arriving.