HELLO BABY EP 12: LISTENER Q & A
On this week’s episode, Matt and Angela are spending the whole episode hearing from YOU!
We love hearing from y’all and we want to interact with our Hello Baby listeners, so we filtered through our social media and picked out a handful of questions. Listen close… Your question might be one of them!
*Go to SunBasket.com/BABY today to learn more and get $35 off your first order!*
Hello Baby Ep 09: The Women Tell All; Matt’s Family
On this week’s episode, Matt and Angela have a couple of very special guests on in Matt’s mom and aunt! They share stories from Matt’s past and give some great advice on do’s and don’ts of parenting.
Go to SUNBASKET.com/BABY today to learn more and get $35 off your first order!
-Sign up for a 6 or 12 month subscription at bluum.com and receive a FREE box when you use BABY at checkout!
Life and Bump Update – Third Trimester
I have less than a month until my due date. My head is spinning y’all. How did the time fly by this fast?! I’ve had about a million (not really) people ask me if I’m so ready to have this baby… Here’s the thing, I’m not. I’m perfectly content with where she’s at. It’s the one time in life that I know without a doubt where she’s at, at all times lol. Don’t get me wrong, I couldn’t be more excited to meet her, but I want to meet her in God’s perfect timing, so she can stay cooking as long as she needs to.
My apologies for the lack of blog posts lately, life has been more than a little crazy. I’ve been updating my Instagram every day and keeping you up to speed about what’s happening in my life there. I also uploaded a new YouTube video this past week, so if you missed it, head over and check out my winter morning skincare routine.
This past week’s episode of Hello Bump went live: Episode 25: Week 31. We Teach Breech. Matt and I find out that baby girl is officially in breech position and what that means for our birth plan. I gotta be honest, I was so disappointed when I realized that she was breech. I always envisioned a vaginal delivery and never dreamt I’d have to be a candidate for a c-section. I don’t fear a c-section because of the surgery involved, I fear it because my doctor and I want to avoid the additional scar tissue to my abdomen. If you’ve read my endometriosis story, then you know I’ve already had two laparoscopies. Now that I’ve had a couple different ultrasounds, tried every homeopathic breech remedy out there and talked to tons of people, I’ve come to accept this has my birth plan. If she turns, I’m going to have to reprogram my brain again, lol.
This morning, Episode 26: Week 32. The Dreams went live. In this week’s episode, we chat about our maternity photo shoot and prep for Thanksgiving.
We’ve had a busy past couple of weeks with Matt’s Timeless schedule, family visiting, my LA baby shower, Christmas cards and Christmas prep. As we get closer to Christmas, life is starting to slow down… Thank goodness. I need some quiet time with my feet propped up by the fire while we watch Christmas movies.
Now for the nursery… I’m still trying to finalize my decisions. Y’all, I still haven’t made a decision on that dang wall! We did paint it a gorgeous shade of grey that looks so nice with the white trim. Matt painted the floor lamp and installed the chandelier. We have the crib and dresser/changing table in place. The first rug I ordered just wasn’t the right fit, so we sent it back. I ordered a second rug and it’s on backorder until the beginning of January, and so I also ordered a third rug option. Our glider and ottoman are scheduled to arrive this week from Monte Design and I can’t wait to see them! Our crib bedding and drapes are being finalized hopefully early this week. It’s so exciting to see it all come together.
I’ll be posting a full nursery tour once the room finally is finished. Leave a comment below and let me know if you’d rather see a tour on my YouTube Channel or on the blog.
Hello Bump-Date | My Life Lately
Today’s post is a hodge podge/hybrid of an outfit post, life update post and podcast review. Basically, you’re getting a three-for-one today, lol. We’ve got a whole lotta catching up to do with Hello Bump. I didn’t realize that I haven’t posted on the blog since Episode 12, probably because I have so much going on in my life lately. Feel free to skip ahead and scroll to the bottom of this post for the podcast episode guide.
Here’s a quick update of all that’s been going on in my life…
- We traveled home to Ohio for our first baby shower, then to Georgia and Tennessee. Now there’s no more travel until Miss Lanter gets here!
- My kitchen counter stools and master bedroom sofa finally arrived. It feels so good to have big pieces in place because it’s starting to make our house really come together.
- Speaking of kitchen stools, I’m now on my third set of stools and we finally got it right this time lol! I can’t wait to do a full reveal for you guys to see.
- I finally got our closet completely organized, finished the switch to all velvet hangers and the nursery closet entirely cleaned out. Now, I’m just waiting for two shelves to be installed in the closet before I do a full reveal for the blog.
- I packed away all of my non-maternity clothes that I can’t wear until I’m back to my normal size. This made such a difference in closet space for me. I also took that time to purge my closet and donate a bunch of clothes.
- I’ve been an organizing fool lately. I showed all the acrylic organizing trays I purchased from Homegoods a month or so ago on Insta-Stories and I’m still working on converting all of our drawers over to this system. I’m finally done with the bathroom drawers, and I found a new solution for the under sink space in the nursery that I’m super excited to share with y’all. I also showed my kitchen sink organization on Insta-stories this weekend and it made such a difference.
- Our baby crib and dresser/changing table have arrived and we think we found the prefect rug! It feels so good to be making all of these big nursery decisions. We’re working with someone to create the perfect nursery for Little Miss and I can’t wait to see how it turns out. Let me know in the comments below if you’d like to see an inspo post for the nursery here on the blog.
- I reorganized my pantry and labeled my containers. Let me know if you guys want a pantry post in the comments below also. I’m ordering new labels for my baskets, so those need to arrive before I share the finished product.
- In case you missed it, I posted a pregnancy announcement video on YouTube as well as a first trimester must-haves video.
All in all, I’ve been spending as much of my time as possible getting the house in shape before the holidays. I really want the nursery to be completely done before Christmas. We also broke out the Christmas decorations for the front room, so I’m working on getting the mantel fully decorated. I’m also running around today to get everything I need for my Thanksgiving tablescape. My current centerpiece is lacking life, so I’m heading to the craft store to pick up some greenery. I’m looking for the perfect buffet for our dining room and I feel like I’ve exhausted all my options. If you have a furniture store suggestion that I probably don’t know about, please let me know in the comments. I’m not 100% in love with anything I’ve found so far.
Hello Bump Podcast Episodes:
Episode 13: Week 18. Pop Goes the Belly:
Bonus Episode: Sazan and Stevie Hendrix Interview:
Episode 14: Week 19. Breastfeeding in Public:
Episode 15: Week 20. We Got Robbed:
Episode 16: Week 21. We Got a New Car!:
Episode 17: Week 22. Kinfolk to Dolly:
Episode 18: Week 23. Lady of the Night:
Bonus Episode: Jason Kennedy & Lauren Scruggs-Kennedy Interview:
Episode 19: Week 24. Cramps & Cravings.
Episode 20: Week 25. Toilet Naps.
Hello Bump: Episode 12 + Bonus with Melissa & Justin Gaston
On Monday, Episode 12, which covered week 17 was released. During our 17th week of pregnancy, we returned home to LA after over two weeks of vacation. I was so sad to leave my favorite place on earth, 30A, but happy to see our sweet fur baby.
Speaking of fur babies, I’ve had so many mothers tell me that before pregnancy their dogs were their babies, but they just basically forgot them after the baby came along. Matt and I love Soka so much, that I can’t imagine us forgetting her… Or her letting us forget her. She’s a demanding little diva and she makes sure that you give her attention when she wants it. I’m looking for a little feedback here from y’all. Leave a comment below and let me know how your relationship with your pet was affected by baby’s arrival.
Also in this episode, Matt expresses his disdain (yet again) for my beloved pregnancy pillow. My snoogle has helped so much with my hip and lower back pain, and he gets that part of it. It’s just that the pillow literally is the great divide in our bed, lol. I also chatted about the compression socks I wore for flying and have had some requests for the link, so click here to see the socks I’m talking about.
I’ve also had multiple women reach out to me about Natural Calm this week and I chatted about it in detail in this episode. I take 1.5 teaspoons every night mixed in water at bedtime, which my OB has approved. I have experienced so many benefits from taking magnesium, that I can tell a difference on the days I forget to take it.
Listen to Episode 12 on iTunes, Stitcher or here:
Also, we released a special bonus episode with two of our dearest friends, Justin Gaston and Melissa Ordway-Gaston. They’re also pregnant and due THE DAY AFTER us! So crazy!! It’s so fun having a girlfriend to experience everything right along with. We text each other every couple of days with new symptoms, cravings and just pregnancy thoughts in general.
If you were a 90210 fan, then you will probably remember her as Sydney, Liam’s love interest from the last season. She has also been on Young & the Restless for the past +5 years. We met Justin and Melissa right before she booked 90210 and we chat about her being on the show. Justin & I also chat about watching our spouses’ sex scenes and how we made light of the situation and ended up becoming great friends. As a matter of fact, both Justin and Melissa were in our wedding. 🙂
Be sure to listen to their episode because their parenting journey is so special. They have one 15 month old daughter, Olivia, who is adopted and they dive into their story about how this sweet little girl became a part of their little family. For anyone that has been touched by adoption or is thinking about adoption, this episode is so special because of their openness to discuss their experience.
Listen to Justin and Melissa Gaston on Hello Bump:
Hello Bump: Baby Lanter Gender Reveal
The wait is OVER! We’re finally revealing Baby Lanter’s gender today on Hello Bump Podcast. Honestly, I’m just really proud of myself for keeping this secret as long as I have, lol. I’ve slipped to so many people when talking in person, so I had to try REALLY hard to watch my words when talking on Insta-stories.
You can listen to the episode now on iTunes, Stitcher or just click below and listen directly from this post:
I have so much adorable baby stuff I can’t wait to show y’all! Be sure to follow me on Instagram here and also Hello Bump Podcast on Instagram here, because I post videos and photos to our stories to show the new baby products as they come in.
While we’re on the topic of baby products, since a lot of you miss my Insta-stories (they expire in 24 hours) would it be something you would be interested in if I kept a page of my incoming products I talk about on Insta-stories here on my blog? I talk about a lot of different beauty products, baby items, recipes, etc. on my Insta-stories and I’m wondering how many of you would like to see me figure out a way to include that info here on the blog? That way it’s easily accessible after the story expires on Instagram. If this is something you’d like to see me do, please leave a comment below and let me know. I want to be sure that I’m making everything as easy as possible for my Gorgeous Girls.
I posted these photos last night to take a poll about what y’all thought I was having. I personally love the gender guessing game based on the way the mama is carrying, so I thought I’d let my Gorgeous Girls in on the fun.
I just wanted to say one more time, thank you again for joining us on this journey. We’re having so much fun creating our weekly podcasts and sharing them with each of you. If you’re also enjoying the podcast, please take a moment to rate and review us on iTunes, so we can continue to climb the charts. ?
HELLO BUMP EP 10 / 5 Month Pregnancy Favorites
Isn’t it interesting that my mom and Mawmaw’s generations referred to pregnancy length by months? They’d say I’m 5 months pregnant right now. Nowadays, we describe our pregnancies by weeks. In fact, we talk pregnancy in weekly terms as if it’s always been that way. I’m interested to know when that shift happened from months to weeks?
If you’re following along on Hello Bump Podcast, then you are already very filled in on my first 15 weeks of pregnancy. In fact, Episode 10, Week 15 released this morning. You can listen via iTunes, Stitcher or straight from this blog post (below) if you haven’t already downloaded it.
Today’s post goes out to my fellow pregnant and soon-to-be pregnant mamas who are interested in some of my must-have products from my first 20 weeks of pregnancy. These are all products personally tested and approved by me. Scroll down for a description of each item and a few sentences about why they made the “Angela Approved Pregnancy List.“
My First 20 Weeks Faves:
- Maeband Maternity Belly Band: If you’re like me, you want to wear your regular shorts, jeans and pants for as long as possible while pregnant. This belly band helps you do just that. It’s a cloth band with velcro on both ends that hooks through your belt loops and secures with the velcro. I’m currently wearing a size Small and have it in the navy blue color. The Maeband makes it possible for me to wear my pre-pregnancy bottoms without an issue.
- Leachco Snoogle Body Pillow: This was my first pregnancy purchase and definitely my most used/loved. I can’t sleep at night now without it. My chiropractor suggested this pillow to help keep my hips aligned while side sleeping, which in turn has majorly helped to ease my lower back pain. I originally bought the pillow on Amazon without a cover, trying to save money. I quickly realized I needed a pillow cover (i.e. pillow case) and ordered the jersey grey, which means I didn’t actually save myself any money at all. If you are looking for a pregnancy pillow, look no further. But buy the pillow that comes with the case. Trust me, you won’t regret it.
- Maternity Undies: Early on in my pregnancy, I posted on Facebook about my need for maternity undies and asked for suggestions. Quite a few women said they never needed new undies throughout their entire pregnancy… Which made me feel like there was something wrong with me for needing them so early on. But my oh-so-loved CK’s were literally sinking into my skin, leaving indents. I researched undies online and bought pairs from several different brands. This style from Giftpocket is hands down my favorite. I wear them every single day and don’t have a single complaint. If you’re interested in my pre-pregnancy favorite underwear, check out this blog post.
- Bellaband: Another option for wearing your pre-pregnancy bottoms from Ingrid and Isabel that I love. The Bellaband gives a smoother look to your bottoms than the Maeband. This only matters if you’re wearing a tighter top. If you wear mainly loose tops or sweaters, you’ll be fine with the Maeband. If you prefer to wear tighter fitting tops, then go with the Bellaband. I have the Bellaband in a size 1 in white.
- Bra Extender: If you listen to Hello Bump, then you’ve heard Matt get on me about my bras being too tight. This extender has helped ease my discomfort immensely. Those extra two inches made a big difference for me. I just received a bra from Third Love in the mail yesterday, so I’ll let y’all know my thoughts once I’ve had a good chance to wear it.
- Maternity Leggings: Another one of my first purchases was maternity leggings. These leggings are great for every day wear and have a side zipper detail on the ankles. They come with a crossover panel in the back which helps with lower back support. If you’re interested in more casual leggings that are better for working out, then check out this pair from Beyond Yoga/Beyond the Bump. The material is more like a super soft tee shirt, whereas the Ingrid & Isabel pair are thicker and better for a dressed up look.
- Nivea In-Shower Body Lotion: I’ve been a fan of in-shower body lotions since Olay first debuted theirs when I was in high school. I love the idea of moisturizing while I’m in the shower for one less step for when I get out. I’ve suffered from dry, itchy skin during my pregnancy. This lotion has helped moisturize, hydrate and keep my skin itch-free. Honestly, I like both the Nivea and Olay lotions equally. I do think I like the original (purple bottle) scent of Olay the best.
- Natural Calm: I’ve been taking Natural Calm since January and I love it. It helps me relax and sleep better, prevents constipation and helps prevent muscle cramps and headaches. I think magnesium is an awesome way to fight against the pregnancy constipation that we all hear nightmare stories about. Be sure to talk to your doctor before taking this supplement; my doctor approved it for me.
- Pink Stork Pregnancy Bath Salts: I’ve been a bath taker all my life. After first finding out I was pregnant, I shied away from baths. Then the infamous cyst hit me like a brick wall and I had no choice but to take sitz baths. It was during that period that I realized all the hub-bub about baths is silly. I take warm, not hot baths, and I limit myself to 10 minutes. These salts are also packed with magnesium to give you that same calming effect. I also frequently use Aveeno oatmeal bath mixes to help soothe my dry, itchy or stretching skin.
- Bio-Oil: I researched stretch mark prevention and every where I looked, this oil was recommended. Of course I ordered myself a bottle from Amazon Prime right away. I love the scent and it leaves my skin feeling silky smooth. Luckily, I don’t have any stretch marks yet, but I still have another 4 months to go. I also really love the Honest Company Organic Belly Balm because the scent is so calming for bedtime.
What are some of your pregnancy must-haves? I’ve already discovered new products I love this past week that I can’t wait to share with y’all. Be sure to watch my daily Insta-stories on both my personal account and the Hello Bump account to see the different products for both me and Baby Lanter that have been arriving.
Shop This Pregnancy Post:
HELLO BUMP EPISODES 8 & 9
This week has been one of those weeks. If you follow me on Insta-stories, then you know why this post is late… My computer crashed. And it was totally my fault. I had the bright idea to clean fly guts from the area where my screen meets the keyboard with Windex. The cleaning was a success, but I unfortunately burnt out my monitor. Talk about frustrating. I have now been laptop-less for a week and I feel like I’m going crazy lol.
On to the podcast! Monday we released episode 8 in which we’re covering week 13 of pregnancy. Depending on who you ask, second trimester begins on week 13 or week 14. We were so excited at the prospect of second trimester, so we took the liberty of believing we crossed that landmark at week 13. This week, we had our second trimester OB appointment and ultrasound. Matt believes he saw the gender in the ultrasound and the ultrasound tech confirmed that she knew the gender… But we have to wait for my blood results to come back before we find out for sure. Personally, I love the gender guessing game. Using old wives tales to try to figure out the gender is just all in good fun… I think it sorta drives Matt crazy though, lol.
We also chat about the Zika virus threat and prenatal vitamins. Then I uncover my weird obsession with polygamy based shows… I just so badly want to understand the psychology behind the lifestyle. Just to clarify, not the disgusting marriage of underage girls to old men. I’m talking along the lines of the tv show, Sister Wives. It’s such a foreign concept to me and something that I would never be able to do.
Listen here to episode 8:
Next up we have episode 9 which is week 14… So we are officially official with the second trimester claims! I rate my first trimester as a F, but Matt thinks it’s not as bad I do. Easy for him to say!
I’m also taking you through our move process and our hectic schedule leading up to our vacation in Florida.
Do you have any travel traditions with your hubby? I talk about our Facetime tradition and how much more safe it makes me feel.
We also chat about my first flight since being pregnant and the precautions we took. In case you’re interested, these are the travel compression socks I wore on the flight. I feel like they really did make a difference in my flight experience.
Also, anyone else love Raising Cane’s and Zaxby’s as much as I do?!
I wanna hear how you shared your pregnancy news with your friends and family! Leave a comment below and tell me your story!
Listen here to episode 9:
As you may have noticed, we did not upload yesterday, on our regularly scheduled day due to the holiday. There will be a brand new episode of Hello Bump available tomorrow morning per our usual upload schedule. 🙂
Hello Bump Podcast Episodes 6 & 7 Cyst Recap
Man oh man. If you thought I was already sharing TMI, then Monday’s episode had to have blown your mind! Monday we released Hello Bump Podcast Episode #6; Week 11, “The Cyst… From Hell.” If you don’t already know, I have suffered from endometriosis for over 10 years and you can read all about that journey in this blog post. Hearing that I have another cyst is probably not surprising. What is surprising is the location of this cyst. It was a periclitoral abscess. Huh? I’ve never heard of this before? I didn’t even know that you could get a cyst THERE?! Leave it to me to get a large (for the area) cyst in the most sensitive part of your body! It was the single most painful experience of my life. In this week’s podcast, I walk you through the entire process from discovering the problem to having it removed. If you have a weak stomach, maybe you should just skip ahead to the next episode, lol!
What was so surprising to me is how many women have reached out with similar stories. I didn’t expect that because of how rare this type of cyst is. When I tried to research this type of cyst, there was very little information available, especially about having it while pregnant.
Y’all I’m believing that the worst is behind me in this pregnancy and that the cyst never returns. Listen to the episode on iTunes or here:
This morning we released Hello Bump Podcast Episode #7; Week 12, “Take a Guess. Boy or Girl?” It’s a follow up to the cyst debacle and life at 12 weeks pregnant. I was so happy to be almost out of the first trimester that week after such a horrible medical experience. Looking back now, I’m halfway through my pregnancy and it’s INSANE to think about how fast the time has flown by since then. The first trimester moved so stinkin’ slow, which I’m sure had everything in the world to do with the fact that I felt so miserably sick. I’ve been feeling pretty darn good this trimester, with the exception of some nagging round ligament pain, so of course this time feels like it’s breezing on by. It’s so crazy how that happens!
Listen to episode #7:
I want to chat a bit about what I’m wearing lately. My belly has definitely popped, which means most pants and shorts feel so uncomfortable to me. I’ve received a bunch of new maternity clothes this past week and started to review them in detail on my Instagram Stories. Overall, the reception has been amazing from y’all. I’ve received so many comments and DMs asking me to continue posting these detailed fashion reviews because they help give a better look and understanding at what I’m wearing versus just a single photo, which makes perfect sense. Be sure to follow me on Instagram and check my stories daily to see what I’m wearing and in-depth reviews. Just a reminder, these stories only stay up for 24 hours, then they expire. Daily there’s new posts up to watch!
I’m planning on wearing non-maternity pieces throughout my pregnancy as well as maternity pieces, so there will be a little something for everyone. The outfit above is an older chambray dress from Forever 21 that of course is no longer available. It’s non-maternity, and you probably remember it from this blog post. If you’re an expectant mama or planning to be one in the near future, purchasing pieces like a shirtdress are perfect for before pregnancy, during and after. Those are exactly the pieces I love incorporating into my wardrobe.
I’ve rounded up some non-maternity shirt dresses below that are all under $100, but mostly under $50, that will work for anyone. Not all will work for all nine months of pregnancy, but all will work for before, during some stages and after pregnancy and are adorable for my non-mama readers out there too. These darling little dresses are perfect for Fall and would layer perfectly with tights, booties and a cardigan.
Shirt Dresses Under $100:
Hello Bump Podcast Episodes 4 & 5
Hopefully, you have been joining us on this pregnancy journey via Hello Bump Podcast! Last week we chatted about episodes 2 and 3. I recapped the feelings I experienced in weeks 6, 7 and 8 of my first trimester.
This week we covered week 9 in episode 4 and week 10 in episode 5. For those of you with iPhones, you can easily download and listen to our shows using the Podcasts app via iTunes. If you have an Android, we are also available on the Stitcher app. And if you don’t have either, you can listen to the episodes directly from my blog posts.
Episode 4: Week 9 “Vaginal Cannon and Tasting Breastmilk” has me exploring body image and my own sex drive during pregnancy. I don’t think I can get much more personal with y’all at this point… Oh but I will in the very near future, just you wait. LOL! In this episode, we also talk about Matt’s blood work results and his gene mutations. After going through this process, it leaves me wondering if everyone does this Counsyl testing and if it just gives parents reason for unnecessary concern? I know it’s great for recognizing true genetic issues, but when it’s not something potentially life threatening, is it worth the fear we experience waiting for the genetic counselor to determine our risks?
Another topic from week 9 that still plagues me to this very day is the illusive “Listeria” threat. I’ve seen several women whose doctors have said that they’ve never in their career treated a patient for listeria. It makes me also wonder if we’re overly cautious about the foods we eat? Can you tell that this mama just REALLY wants a hot dog right now?!
Episode 5: Week 10 “The Name Game” has us chatting about all the different methods for guessing the gender. I want to know… Have any of you had luck or found one theory over the other to be more effective? I’ve seen a lot of believers in the Ramzi Theory, the heart rate count and the forehead slope. Wondering what y’all think about these!
The task of naming our baby has been the most daunting to date. Here’s the problem: no matter what name you choose, there will always be someone in your life who doesn’t like it for one reason or another. As of now, we don’t plan on releasing the baby’s name until after the birth. We receive enough feedback from family and close friends, so we don’t need to invite additional feedback on the name into our lives, ya know? I honestly think that keeping the name a secret until the birth is the smartest way to go, that way you don’t have any opinion’s weighting in. I believe that your child is God’s very personal gift to you. He only tasks the parents with the privilege of selecting a name, yet so many people feel that it is their right to give opinions about it. Naming your baby is a very personal, very special thing, so I think you should keep it that way.
This past weekend, Matt felt like I really popped. So now that I have a true bump, I’m struggling to dress myself. NOTHING FITS ME, Y’ALL. I know, I know… This is normal and totally a part of it. But again, I’m just being totally human and fessing up to how I’ve been feeling this week. I did some new maternity pieces in today so I’m excited to have some new things to style the bump with!
Here’s a couple of looks I’ve put together this week: