Hair has always been one of my favorite topics. I’ve had long strands most of my life, but I’ve made some pretty questionable choices in the past. Over the past 5 years, I’ve become the most comfortable with my hair. I know exactly what cut and color (ombre) looks best for my skin tone.
Knowing what your best hair is can be a game changer. It depends entirely on your skin tone, face shape and personal preferences. I think that’s why I love chatting tresses so much, because it’s an entirely subjective topic. Every woman, and the way we view ourselves, is so wonderfully different.
It was a long road getting to this point of hairstyle satisfaction and believe me, I’ve been through many hair mishaps. Let me break down a few of my worst decisions to date, that just didn’t work for ME.
My 5 Worst Hair Decisions:
- Bob Haircuts. I’ve had long hair my entire life… Well, except for two times when I decided a bob would be a great idea. WRONG. I envy the girl who has the face shape to pull off a gorgeous stacked cut. This girl just can’t do it. It’s no secret that I have high cheekbones and a wide face. A bob made me look like a blockhead. When I look back at my bob in fourth grade and again in 11th grade, I know now why my mom pleaded with me not to cut my hair. It looks stunning on other girls, just not on me. I’ve come to terms with my blockhead status and understand that I have to have length around my face to balance out my large head.
- Perms. Oh girl, I’ve had many a perm in my day. I’ve has spiral, crimped, wave and foil perms. You always want what you don’t have, right? Right. I have stick straight hair and all I ever wanted was curls, so perms it was! My last perm was my senior year of high school… And I’ll be leaving that hair trend for my high school glory days.
- Black Strands. Not just black hair, but jet black, but actually sorta blue hair. This period will be referred to as my “Elvis Days.” Listen, just because you’re born with black hair (like I was) doesn’t mean it’s a great idea to go back to it. In order to balance how harsh my hair color was, I had to stay tan. Really, really tan. When Matt met me, I resembled an Ohio version of Snooki.
- Streaked and Striped. I’m not talking about highlights or lowlights here. I’m talking about zebra stripes in my hair. My strands were straight-up striped. What was I thinking?
- Extensions. Y’all know I love my clip-ins. I wear them all. the. time. I’m referring to sewn-in extensions here. They were a bad decision for me for several reasons: they’re not easy to up keep, those darned things itched my head like woah and they damaged my hair. None of this is worth it when you can easily clip-in hair extensions when you want to and get the exact same effect.
Throughout all of these hair memories, I can remember the products I used at different stages in my life. As a teenager, I used Herbal Essences shampoo, conditioner and styling products. I saw their tv commercials with the girls in the shower going crazy over the scent and thought… I gotta get me some of that! I would regularly buy the yellow shampoo and conditioner, which was for moisture control, because the scent was incredible. I’ve said it a hundred times, there’s nothing better than great smelling hair. I’ve grown up. So has Herbal Essences. They have a fresh, new look and brand new scents. Don’t worry, the delicious scents haven’t gone anywhere, but they have an even bigger selection for us to choose from now.
We change and grow as individuals as we get older, so I love a brand that changes and grows with us. Herbal Essences isn’t just for the teenage girl anymore… It’s for all of us. Don’t believe me? Give it a try! Pick up Herbal Essences and let me know what you think.
Leave a comment below and let me know, what was your worst hair decision through the years?