7 Thin and/or Fine Hair Hacks | Girl Talk Tuesday

7 Thin and/or Fine Hair Hacks | Girl Talk Tuesday

150 150 Angela Lanter

You know me…  I love attacking issues that others don’t really talk about.  Today, that issue is thin and/or fine hair.  If you read my birth control Girl Talk Tuesday post, then you’ll remember that I specifically talked about hair loss.  I’ve always had fine hair, but a lot of it, as my hairdressers would always tell me.  But after coming off birth control, my hair loss was a real problem.  My hair is visibly thinner around my face.  Every time I wash my hair, I lose handfuls of it.  It can be not only frustrating but embarrassing.

thin fine hair hacks angela lanter hello gorgeous

thin fine hair hacks angela lanter hello gorgeous

thin fine hair hacks angela lanter hello gorgeous

Wearing: Lush Cross Front Blouse and AG Legging Jeans

In true Angela form, I’m not going to just sit here and take it.  I’ve decided to try different hacks for hair loss and fine hair in general over the years, so I wanted to share a few of the hacks that have worked for me.

Hacks for Thin and/or Fine Hair:

1. Include Biotin in your daily supplements.  When I was in high school, my eyelashes fell out on one eye.  Talk about cute senior photos…  I was so mortified, but there was nothing I could do, except apply false lashes daily.  After visiting the doctor, he determined that a stressful family situation was the culprit, and then suggested Biotin.  I’ve been taking this beauty B vitamin ever since.
  2. Add volume with layers.  If you have thin hair, volume can be hard to come by.  Adding layers into your haircut can create the appearance of fuller hair.
  3. Take the NIOXIN 30 Day Challenge.  I’m currently taking the NIOXIN 30 Day Challenge and sharing the results on my YouTube Channel.  I posted my first video showing the before of my hair and after 30 days of use I will be posting another video to show my results.  If you’re not familiar with NIOXIN, watch my video to learn more! You can also get a prepaid reward, with a qualifying NIOXIN purchase, here: www.NIOXINRewards.com.  Visit here to take the online consultation to find out which system is best for your hair needs.

4. Don’t apply too many hair products.  The more products you use, the heavier your hair becomes.  The heavier your hair is, the more limp and lifeless your hair will looks.  Heavy hair will not equate voluminous looking hair.  Be smart in choosing the right types of products for your hair.

5. Don’t be afraid to tease.  I’ve always been a teaser.  I love backcombing to add a little oomph to my hairdo.  In order to prevent damage to your hair, only backcomb in one direction and use a light hand.
  6. Invest in clip-in extensions.  If you’re in a situation where you need a quick fix (like a wedding or special event) a couple tracks of hair extensions can make a huge difference.  I don’t wear mine every day, but when I have a special event that I want my hair to look extra voluminous for, clip-in’s do the trick in a pinch.
  7. Keep your hair healthy.  If your hair already looks a little limp, then dry, brittle ends aren’t going to help the situation.  Keep up on your maintenance hair trims to keep your ends looking healthy.

What are some of your thin or fine hair hacks?  Leave a comment below and let me know!  Also, let me know if you’re taking the NIOXIN 30 Day Challenge with me!

Photography by Kara Coleen.

Thank you to NIOXIN for partnering with me to create this blog post.

14 comments
  • Toni June 21, 2017 at 11:23 AM

I think for me adding multiple colors in my hair helps add depth which makes it look fuller too!

• Anne Uhlir June 21, 2017 at 2:23 PM

Thank-you so much for this blog post! Unfortunately due to some medical issues I have had quite a bit of hair loss over the last few years which has made my hair my biggest source of insecurity. I hate to wash my hair because it comes out in handfuls which is just heartbreaking. I really appreciate you talking about this because it makes me feel like I am not the only one. I needed the reminder to maintain my hair with trims because I usually am so afraid to do anything to it for fears of making it worse. My biggest tips are teasing for volume and using a root coverup spray for thin/spare spots. Hugs from Indiana!! Love you Angela!!

• Heather June 22, 2017 at 5:00 AM

Thank you! What clip ins do you use? They are kind of intimidating to me but I have always wanted to try. Thanks, Heather

• Angela Lanter July 6, 2017 at 2:43 PM

I have several brands! I like Laced Hair Extensions a lot but my favorite are a unknown brand I bought at my local beauty supply store for my wedding!

• Sydney Watson June 22, 2017 at 6:02 AM

For many years I took Nutri- Ox vitamins from Sally’s Beauty Supply and they did the trick, but I stopped taking them when I developed an intestinal issue unrelated to the vitamins. Need to start back. They are $13.00 for a bottle.

I also use Kenra Dry Texture spray after my hair is dry. It smells amazing and does what the title says, “gives texture” to my wimpy hair.

• Melanie June 22, 2017 at 8:02 AM

I’ve started the Nioxin 30 day challenge but noticed that it really dried out my hair. I’m still using the scalp treatment because I’ve noticed new growth around the hairline. I’ve struggled with breakage for years now and hope this works. Thanks for your post it really helped to get up and do something about it rather than just being miserable and having my hair pulled back all of the time!

• Angela Lanter July 6, 2017 at 2:41 PM

I haven’t noticed dry hair personally, but I’m using the deep conditioner at least once a week on my ends. Have you tried that product yet?

• Mariana June 22, 2017 at 8:45 AM

I also have thin hair but a lot of it. I always HAVE to do long layers on my hair and it sure makes a big difference! Plus it’s low maintenance which I love. I sometimes don’t use conditioner after washing my hair and instead I use a little bit of a leave in conditioner after he shower. I notice a bit more volume as I’m not using as many products ?.

• Dianna June 28, 2017 at 6:56 PM

I blow dry my hair upside down and finish with a cool button on the dryer. It turns out kind of wild so I tame it with a dryer brush.