5 Tips for Purging

SheIn $15 striped romper Rosemary Beach, FL angela lanter hello gorgeous

SheIn $15 striped romper Rosemary Beach, FL angela lanter hello gorgeous

SheIn $15 striped romper Rosemary Beach, FL angela lanter hello gorgeous

SheIn $15 striped romper Rosemary Beach, FL angela lanter hello gorgeous

SheIn $15 striped romper Rosemary Beach, FL angela lanter hello gorgeous

SheIn $15 striped romper Rosemary Beach, FL angela lanter hello gorgeous

Y’all.  I’ve fallen down a deep dark hole.  That hole is named “Purging”.  My husband may never speak to me again (kidding).  I came home from the dermatologist yesterday with every intention of sitting down to write this blog post.  But something inside of my brain snapped and said, you need to clean out your kitchen cabinets.  NOW.  8 hours and one car full of donations later, my kitchen is unrecognizable.  It began a domino effect for me though…  I moved on to Matt’s office, and every other room in my house.  If it was in my path, it was in danger of being tossed or donated.  I’m now +2 car fulls of donations deep.  And it feels awesome.

I feel like a new woman with a new home.  I’m not sure how I accumulate so much stuff in such a short time because I’m a Grade A purger (is that even a real word?).  Family and friends call me when they need motivation to organize or purge.  It’s like a secret talent (or weapon in Matt’s opinion).  Here are a few tips I can give for anyone who needs a good house or closet purge.

1. Use my 3 month rule.  If I haven’t worn or used an item in 3 months and can’t see myself using it in the next 3 months, it’s gone.
  2. Get rid of excess and duplciates.  Specifically, toss those extra linens you don’t use.  Almost every linen closet I encounter has +3 sets of bed sheets for each bed.  Let’s be real for a second…  You use one set, maybe two, wash that set and put it back on, or rotate with your other favorite set.  For adult beds, anything over two sets is really unnecessary.
  3. Toss uncomfortable shoes, clothes, undies and linens.  If you don’t enjoy wearing something, why keep it?  Just because a certain pair of shoes is to die for doesn’t mean you should keep them if they literally kill your tootsies every time you put them on.  Move on to another pair!
  4. Organize and deep clean as you purge.  Sounds like a nightmare, I know.  But listen, if you are taking things out of a shelf or drawer, take an extra 60 seconds to clean and disinfect it.  Organizing feels amazing but having your house organized and sparkling clean is just about the best feeling ever.  I do this every time I organize a drawer, shelf or my refrigerator.
  5. Look at expiration dates and toss it out!  I’m not just talking about food but toiletries too.  Did you know sunscreen expires?  Don’t forget your medicine cabinet and makeup drawer!

Purging is the best feeling when it’s all said and done.  If you need a little inspiration, check out the book, “The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing“.  This book gives great tips and ideas for what to get rid of and why.  I don’t agree with every single suggestion or that you need to thank each item you own for it’s service (so silly) but I was very inspired to get off my toosh and get to tossin’!

What are some of your favorite purging or organizing tips and tricks?  Leave a comment and let me know!  I love to hear from my fellow organization junkies sisters!

Okay, okay…  My purging rant has come to an end.  Today’s look is another one from our time at 3oA.  This cute little romper is another steal of a deal coming in at only $15.  The back is fully open, so I would suggest my go-to sticky bra with this look.  It’s a super cute outfit and so great for the beach.  Let’s be honest though, my favorite part of this outfit are the donuts.  The Donut Hole is the most incredible donut shop I’ve ever been to in.my.LIFE.  Not joking.  If you’re ever in the Panhandle, this place is a MUST!

What I’m Wearing:

Striped Backless Romper ($15!)  //  Tory Burch Lexington Wedges (ON SALE 30% OFF!)  //  Stick-On Bra  //  Sugar & Spice Sunnies  //  Pineapple Stud Earrings  //  Gold & Turquoise Cuff Bracelet  //  Crystal Ring  //  Kate Spade iPhone Wallet  //  Jouer Lip Creme

Shop This Look:

20 comments
  • Yoli August 3, 2016 at 6:40 AM

Angela! Great post, loved it. I am about to clean out my cabinets because I feel I have way too many cups and plates and only use a few. LOL. Also would love to hear about 30A a little more. I live in Florida and want to book a quick getaway. Where did you stay, restaurants, etc.
    Thanks!

• Angela Lanter August 9, 2016 at 10:18 AM

It’s such a great feeling getting rid of things you don’t use or need! Good luck! 🙂

I’ll put together a 30A travel guide! xo

• Kate August 3, 2016 at 8:38 AM

I’m guilty of holding onto clothing items that I NEVER wear. I just get this “sad’ feeling of the thought of getting rid of it….even though I haven’t worn it in a couple of years….how pathetic is that!? Btw love your romper. It’s adorable!
    -kate
    Katekoutures.blogspot.com

• Alexandra August 3, 2016 at 12:47 PM

Now after reading this post, I realized that having seasons change helps a lot. Every six month we move clothes around the closet, and get rid of things we don’t wear. The hard part is to throw away expired make up products. Almost broke my heart couple of times. It’s like a voice of a “full makeup” lover inside: “you should have tried harder”????

And poor Matt! I bet you’re like a little tornado around the house (same thing here, ha).

• Angela Lanter August 9, 2016 at 10:46 AM

Season changes really do help. It’s kind of like God’s way to remind us, out with the old and in with new!

Ugh I feel you on the makeup. I never want to throw any beauty products away!!

• Maura gripp August 3, 2016 at 5:20 PM

I love this blog post! I just did a major purge because I seem to accumulate five thousand of everything.

• Sarah August 3, 2016 at 9:55 PM

Girl! Once you’re back in Vancouver you have to go to Cartems Donutrie. Get the London fog donut or the earl grey. They are incredible!

• Erin August 4, 2016 at 6:29 AM

Love this post! I had read other articles and pinterest items on how to purge and declutter. I had gotten rid of several items in past few months. Donated, sold some, and threw away the really bad junk. I love that you have made a post about this too. Other people who need items and it is nice to give back. One man’s garbage or old items is another person’s treasure. Something along those lines…heard it long ago. With moving, always nice to purge items no longer need and want. Less packing and items to take with you. Best of wishes with move to Vancouver and look forward to Matt’s show Timeless. New chapter in your lives. Love you guys!!

• Angela Lanter August 9, 2016 at 10:48 AM

Absolutely!! I love to bless others with something that they need! If I have a higher priced item, I like to put it on Poshmark. It’s a great way to make some of your money back. 🙂
      Timeless is such a great show. I can’t wait for you to see it!! xoxo

• Emily August 4, 2016 at 8:26 AM

What great timing because I just told my husband yesterday I wanted to purge our house again and planning to start today! Thanks for the tips!

• Angela Lanter August 9, 2016 at 10:50 AM

Yay!! It’s like a fresh new start! I just reorganized all of my photos into matching photo boxes ($2 at Michael’s!) last night. I’m donating all of my mismatched photo albums. I’m planning to get the majority of photos back in albums once I find some I like that all match. That way they can be neatly displayed in my living room cabinets. 🙂

• Maggie August 6, 2016 at 9:15 AM

Love these tips!! I’d call this a talent haha, because I don’t have it. And the back of that romper is to die for!

• Angela Lanter August 9, 2016 at 10:53 AM

Thanks Maggie! Enlist a friend or family member that doesn’t live with you to come help you purge. Often, a new set of eyeballs that has no emotional connection to your belongings, will really help give you the encouragement to toss out the stuff you don’t want or need. Also, read the book I recommended! It’s a great way to light a fire under your toosh to get started!! 🙂

• Jillian Burroughs August 12, 2016 at 10:28 PM

Angela,

I just organized my closet a few weeks ago, thankfully didn’t have to get rid of a ton of clothes. Whenever I shop I ask myself “will I wear this more than once?” If not then I put it back on the shelves and invest in something I will wear a lot of like flannels for the fall season, ankle booties, maxi dresses. Cocktail dresses are gorgeous but not always worn a ton unless on cruises.

It’s such a terrific feeling having a clean organized closet though, I discovered I have so many sweaters definitely don’t need anymore of them ????

I LOVE your romper it’s adorable!!